Monday, June 27, 2011

Changing Lanes

Every day i travel close to 50miles for work and back. I unfortunately travel during the peak hours (not much difference during non-peak hours). But most of the time I get stuck in the traffic.

While I wait, I look around and noticed that there is flow of vehicles on the right lane keep moving except my lane. Being optimistic, I keep waiting for the traffic to start flowing in my lane but all I had to do is have a bit of patients and WAIT.

Wait, WAITED and After a long wait, I switched to the right hand lane with the expectation that I can surpass the vehicles on my left. But unfortunately, the flow of traffic stopped as soon as moved into this lane, while the traffic flow in the left lane resumed. All behind me now undertook me on the left lane and I watched them moving ahead of me.

What seemed to be a clever decision does not seem to be the best decision but given the circumstances, that seems to be the most appropriate decision (switching lanes with a hope of overtaking others but get undertaken by people behind you). Some times this works perfectly towards our goals but sometimes we are let down. May be it all depends on lane usage and the time of switch

I don’t think this is any different in our career moves, changing lanes with hopes to reach our goals faster. I think the outcome depends on what we want against what we can compromise!

No comments: