Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Opportunity knocks at the wrong time

I have come across many people who are really talented but end up doing some dumb jobs. When talking more with them I found that there are only two reasons
1. They did not get right opportunity
2. They got the opportunity but perhaps not at the right time.

I know how bad is this pain to long for something that keeps you for longing for long.

I have noticed many times the opportunity always knocks at the wrong time.

Who in the world of software does not dream for travel abroad? I got my opportunity to visit United States twice.

First time, couple of weeks before my marriage and I had to let it go because both had fixed dates and nothing much can be done about it.

Second time, I was stuck in a project and boss bossed me out that I am not going anywhere :-). I had no other choice than to accept as he was the BOSS.

One of my friend and school mate. He did his studies and went to US for higher studies and I use to think perhaps he was lucky chap as he got admission to the best colleges in Chennai, India.
But I was wrong and it turned out to be a torture for him.

He completed his course but at the height of recession period in US and followed by Sept 11 attacks in US, his career was at stake. He completed another Masters by the time searching for a job.
He got a job after all this pain and the moment he got a job he has some serious problems in his family that forced him to visit home within a week of his joining.

You would have guessed what would have happened by this time. Yeph, when he came back they have already replaced him with some one and again he was jobless.
At last he has to decide to continue suffering all alone or with his parents and he decided the later.

At least now he is somewhat settled in a good organization in a great position which I really feel happy about.

One of my college, wanted a change from my team, I had let him go for I didn’t want him to be in a situation as I was! He is now in UK but doing a dumb job… Not sure you call him lucky or got a wrong opportunity or right opportunity at the wrong place.

I am not sure if Opportunity always knocks at the wrong time or we are not lucky enough

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just remember one saying ... "You have to believe in luck, how will you justify your enemy's success otherwise?" :) Other than that, being lucky is grabbing the opportunity and taking chances. People who take chances will be the luckiest ... yes, they would falter as well, but the ups and downs will be a joyride roller-coaster

Jagan, you are making me get philosophical ;)

Smiles,
Vinayak